Uncategorized

The Potions Master (ch.8)

There are 142 staircases at Hogwarts. Why this is an important fact to start the chapter on is probably more about the jolt to the system Harry is feeling with the change of scenery and the addition of magic. My first though, however, was “no wonder the Marauders needed a map.” Of course, the Gryffindor gang was older when they made the map, and all indications point to it being a creation to find and avoid people. Still, I’m rather surprised that a school that large does not give out basic instructions to the classrooms, most notably if professors (or perhaps this is just Snape) are going to take points off in the first week for being late. 

I’m always flabbergasted that Professor Binns, the History of Magic Professor, is a ghost. Not that a ghost is necessarily a bad choice for the position. More so that Binns is a bad choice for the position, especially since he isn’t even alive. By all accounts, he pays no attention to the students in his class. Really? Really, Dumbledore, you couldn’t find ANYONE else?

So Harry and Ron, and all the other new students, are getting used to Hogwarts and finding their way, more or less. And here comes Friday, the first Gryffindor/Slytherin potions class with Professor Severus Snape. Excuse me while I fangirl over Alan Rickman’s portrayal of the Potions Master. Harry also has tea with Hagrid later, but he has to survive Potions first. Ah, the introduction that stays with you. Master Severus Snape, ensnare my attention, please.

“You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making… As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don’t expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses… I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren’t as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.” (Rowling, J.K.. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (p. 146). Pottermore Publishing. Kindle Edition.)

It is in this potions class that certain things are cemented: Hermione as a hand waving swot, the rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin (especially Harry vs. Draco), and the eternal knife’s edge balance of the relationship of Harry Potter and Severus Tobias Snape. Oh, and of course the undeniable fact that Neville Longbottom is terrified of Professor Snape and is terrible at potion making. 

Then it’s time for tea with Hagrid, and some more breadcrumbs from J.K. Rowling. Harry notices the Daily Profit on Hargrid’s table with the following article: GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown. Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day. “But we’re not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what’s good for you,” said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon. (Rowling, J.K.. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (p. 151). Pottermore Publishing. Kindle Edition.) As Harry thinks about it, he concludes: “Hagrid had emptied vault seven hundred and thirteen, if you could call it emptying, taking out that grubby little package. Had that been what the thieves were looking for?” (p. 152)

While a relatively short and unexciting chapter, a few things are established that set the whole series, and the Sorcerer’s Stone storyline, into motion. If you know what to look for and read the writing on the walls…sorry, that was in Chamber of Secrets. Sorry, sorry, bad pun, but I couldn’t help myself. Until next time!