Uncategorized

ALCOHOL IS ALWAYS AT THE TOP OF THE RODRIGUEZ FAMILY PARTY SUPPLIES LIST

ALCOHOL IS ALWAYS AT THE TOP OF THE RODRIGUEZ FAMILY PARTY SUPPLIES LIST & I remember that birthday party when my aunt grabbed my arm with her cold ass hands & asked me to get her a glass of water so that she could sober up & when I brought it for her she lost her balance & fell onto me I felt that cold Brita water on my left shoulder but then I felt a surprising warmness on my left leg & that’s when I noticed my aunt passed out & had peed on me but I couldn’t even get mad at her because her husband was out with his other family that night celebrating his eldest’s birthday & my cousins birthday was the week before & he never showed up so I helped my aunt sit down on the brown leather couch & I left to my room to grab my towel before heading to the bathroom I teared up a little because I couldn’t think of any appropriate way for her to deal with her husband having another child with a woman every time she birthed one for him & drinking helped her & I think I think it would help me too.

__________________

This poem is based on a true story that occurred in my family which made it difficult to write about. Family gatherings can be tricky, but that it when the truth often comes out especially when alcohol is involved. Growing up, alcohol was at the top of the party supplies list in my family because we could never party if our alcohol was not ready at the table with a bucket of ice and glass cups. I have recently taken a liking to Khadijah Queen’s book, “I’m So Fine”. I noticed that she writes prose poems where she does not use punctuation marks and uses “&” instead of actually writing “and”. This seemed like an intriguing style to try out.

The moment I describe in this poem is a moment that I have never managed to forget while growing up. I was probably about ten years told when it happened and I am just beginning to get some closure on the situation at the age of twenty… it isn’t even my situation, but I hope that can help you guys understand the deepness of it all. I think this was the best style to use for describing this moment because I feel like punctuation serves as breaks in poetry. Since there are none in this poem, it emphasizes how much overwhelming emotion, stress and darkness was carried through this night I’ve described. I am not venting about this situation or seeking closure so much for myself, but more for my aunt who stopped drinking about three years ago and refuses to acknowledge that any of this occurred at all.

This seems to be something that occurs in many families and I hope can serve as a message for some. What’s the message? You are not alone! I send lots of love through this message and hope you enjoy my poem. Take care of yourselves and I’ll see you all next week. xoxo

Yours Truly,

Isha S. Serrano

(The Wind’s Sentiments)